Criticism, defensiveness, stonewalling, contempt – these behaviors often signal the end of most relationships. But how does a couple overcome these challenges and reestablish their bond? Based on research and practice on thousands of couples, the Gottman Method may be the answer.
The Gottman Method assists couples in achieving a deeper sense of understanding, awareness, empathy, and connection that ultimately leads to heightened intimacy and interpersonal growth. The method was developed by psychologists John and Julie Gottman after 40 years of research on what it takes to maintain a lasting relationship.
What is the Gottman Method based on?
The end goal of Gottman therapy is to increase closeness and friendship behaviors, address conflict productively, and build a life a shared meaning. It contains seven principles based on the following concepts:
- Building love maps
- Expressing fondness and admiration
- Turning toward one another
- Accepting influence
- Solving problems that are solvable
- Managing conflict to overcome gridlock
- Creating shared meaning
Who can benefit from the Gottman Method of therapy?
The Gottman Method is works with couples of all ages and races, and is also effective for same sex partnerships. This method can be used to address all levels of conflict, including:
- Frequent arguments
- Poor communication
- Emotional distance
- Specific problems such as infidelity, finances, parenting, and sexual difficulties
What can you expect during a therapy session?
When an LifeStance Health therapist implements the Gottman Method during couples therapy, it involves:
- Establishing a relationship with your therapist about your history, relationship philosophy, and goals
- Assessing the relationship and discussing disagreements between partners
- Learning components of healthy relationships
- Bolstering the fondness and respect that first brought partners together
- Practicing skills for each element of a good relationship, such as developing trust and repairing attacks
- Direct coaching on positive interactions
- Acquiring tools to maintain the relationship once therapy is complete
There is no doubt that maintaining a successful relationship takes work, and LifeStance Health is here to give you the skills to improve your connection. If you feel this method of therapy will enhance your relationship, reach out to a Gottman trained LifeStance Health therapist today.